My guest on SBR last week was entrepreneur chef Emeril Lagasse and he shared some great tips to help you succeed. It was not easy getting started and Emeril spent 7 months unemployed while launching his first restaurant, Emerils New Orleans.
Emeril was turned down by most every financial institution, until he finally found a bank willing to loan him the money. He launched Emeril’s on a very small budget with the vision of being the best white table cloth restaurant in New Orleans. He had no vision in the beginning of a global media empire and his team was focused on being the best restaurant in New Orleans.
Emeril shared these great tips for entrepreneur success:
- Develop a strong team and don’t ask people to do anything that you wouldn’t do.
- Build a tremendous level of respect with your people. They need to see that you are working as hard as anyone in the organization.
- Make your business exciting, provide outstanding service and care for your people.
Emeril also provided some key bonus advice –
- You must negotiate your deals right so that you can execute your business plan.
- You can’t fool people so your quality must be high and you must deliver.
Emeril emphasized that building a brand is like a wheel and you must pay close attention to all aspects of your business. He is involved with every detail of his brand and having an awesome team is key to execution.
Listen to this entire interview on John Martin’s Small Business Roundtable.